Monday, April 11, 2011

Welcome to Bish's Place where Walter Bishop Jr.'s Transcriptions Live

Okay here is the deal. Walter Bishop Jr. is my favorite jazz pianist and is highly underrated. So I decided to make a place on the web for his transcriptions to live. Where people can download and analyze, take licks and study.

My top three piano men are Bish, Bud Powell, and Bobby Timmons. Bud Powell is the only guy who has loads of books of transcriptions and analysis and transcriptions posted on the web. Sure he is "The Source" but both Timmons and Bish developed some interesting styles from their Bud Powell roots. Styles worth looking into and studying. Bish has a more rhythmically explosive style than Bud. Bud more flowing and technically challenging. Timmons has a more soulful and down home take on the Bud Powell way.

Anyway I have recently started transcribing Bish. Right now I am working transcribing all of his solos from the Speak Low (aka Milestones) album. I will be posting them as I complete them. Hopefully, every couple of months I'll be posting a new solo for all to see.

In the meantime if any of you have any transcriptions from Walter Bishop Jr. that you'd like to share, I could post it here or put up a link to your blog.

This man's genius needs to be celebrated. Down the road after I complete the Speak Low LP, I will begin transcribing Bish from the DVD We Remember Bird. Recorded in 1964, it features Sonny Stitt, J. J. Johnson, Howard McGhee, Tommy Potter and Kenny Clarke.

Peace Until the Next Post,
AnchovyD

No comments:

Post a Comment