Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bish's Green Dolphin Street solo from the Speak Low LP (1961)

Alright here is the first transcription. It is from Bishop's Speak Low recording made in 1961. Note that this album was re-released on the Black Lion label under the title "Milestones."  The Milestones album has a few alternate takes but none of Green Dolphin Street. Also, I think the pitch on the Speak Low LP is off by about 70 cents sharp or so. The pitch has been corrected on the Milestones album.


Now about the transcription. I just transcribed the right hand line and none of the left hand comping, which I may work on later after I get the rest of the album down. Right now I am just trying to see how he builds his lines and reverse engineer his soloing, the comping and exact voicings are not important to me since I pretty much know what he is doing there and can play something pretty darn close without the hard work of transcribing.


The magic of the solos is what I am after, like when Barry Harris said he first got out in Detroit to play with kids from the other side of town. Barry went on to say that while he could play chords better than kids from the other side who didn't know how to play them, they could solo like mothers and Barry couldn't. He asked his sister how to learn to solo and she gave him a Fats Navarro recording of Webb City with Bud Powell on piano. He had an adjustable record player and could knock it down half-speed to learn what Bud was doing and figure out how to solo. That is what I am aiming at here except I am learning from Walter Bishop, Jr. instead of Bud. Just click on the score below to see or download the whole pdf of the transcription.

Click here to hear an mp3 of Bish's Green Dolphin Street solo.


In a later post I will give a quick run down of my analysis and breakdown of the solo, but in this post I am just presenting it. Oh also the chords written over the lead line are just the standard changes to the tune, just used to help in analyzing the lead line. Like I said I didn't transcribing his chording but it sounds like he is sticking close to the standard changes throughout. If a line doesn't look like it fits, check the record to see what Bish actually played in terms of chords but just my first big picture glance tells me that he was playing and thinking standard changes.

As for future posts, we have the breakdown of this solo and right now I am about halfway through Bish's Blues in the Closet solo. In a few weeks I should have new solo down and posted as well. Oh by the way, I am only going to be transcribing the main versions of the tunes which were originally put out on the Speak Low LP, not the alternate takes that are included on the Milestones CD. Also would like to transcribe a Rhythm changes tune from Bish but I haven't found one yet. Any suggestions?

Peace Out,
D

6 comments:

  1. oh my, just to think that somebody would take the trouble of putting the results of such hard personal labor online... too bad the files seem to be gone by now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you want to see the pdf's? I can restore the links. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you restore those files ?Thank you,for posting them in the first place :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the record that made me want to be a jazz pianist in my early teens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Roberta. This album brought it all together for me and was the first one to truly speak to me. Bish's playing is swinging, honest, real, and resonates with me. Learning from this record really taught me how to play changes.

      Delete
  5. Nikos, q3mi4, and the 15 or so people who've pm'ed me over the years,

    The links for this post have been restored. Sorry about the delay. Links were lost in a web hosting move and material had to be unearthed and recovered after hard drive crash on iMac and subsequent move from Mac to PC a few years ago. The other posts will be restored as well and new material will be posted. We're getting the blog back together.

    ReplyDelete